These thefts typically happen to vehicles that are parked for prolonged periods in large lots, such as shopping centers, parking lots or company parking lots.
Vehicles that sit higher from the ground, such as trucks, pick-ups and SUVs, are particularly vulnerable to catalytic converter theft because thieves can slide underneath without having to jack up the vehicle to gain access to the converter.
To combat catalytic converter thefts follow these tips:
- Always park in well-lighted areas
- At shopping centers and other similar parking lots, park close to the entrance of the building or near the access road where there's a lot of traffic
- If you own or work at a business or factory, park within a fenced area that's busy during the day and secured at night
- Engrave your license plate number on the converter to make it traceable
- Purchase a vehicle security system and make sure it’s set to trigger with just the slightest motion
- Visit a local muffler shop and have the converter secured to the vehicle’s frame with a couple of pieces of hardened steel welded to the frame
- Check out the different types of catalytic converter theft deterrent systems at your local auto parts store or online
Please contact our department at 919-775-5531 if you have information!