When confronted by a threatening dog, our impulse is often to turn and run - the worst response, since movement triggers the chase instinct in dogs.
- Stand very still and try to be calm.
- Don't scream at the dog and run.
- Be aware of where the dog is. Look in its general direction, but don't stare into its eyes. This is considered an aggressive challenge.
- Let the dog sniff you.
- In a low voice say, "No! Go home!"
- Stay still until the dog leaves.
- Back away slowly until it's out of sight.
- If a dog does attack, try to "feed" it your workout jacket, bike equipment (briefcase, purse) to distract the dog while you back slowly away towards safety.
Aggressive dogs should be reported to your nearest animal control agency. If you reside in the country and have animal control concerns, please contact them at 919-775-5531.
The link below has further information in regards to animal control law, and even the ability to report a lost pet!