- If you use portable heaters, be sure they have an automatic safety shut-off switch and never leave children unattended in rooms with portable heaters.
- Supervise children and pets at all times when a portable space heater is in use.
- Never use space heaters to dry flammable items such as clothing or blankets.
- Keep all flammable objects at least three feet from space heaters.
- Install smoke detectors on every level, test them monthly and replace batteries at least yearly.
- If any appliances or heating devices in your home produce carbon monoxide (CO), be sure to install CO detectors in your home and then test and properly maintain the detectors.
- Have a qualified service technician check and clean your heating system every year.
Staying Safe While You Stay Warm
Extremely cold weather is rare in North Carolina, but when temperatures drop, it's nice to refresh yourself with some tips to stay safe while you stay warm: